John Allen

New? Come here and introduce yourself!
allenh
Band Name: none

John Allen

Postby allenh » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:13 pm

Hello,
For a long time now I've wanted to find out more about my Grandfather John Allen.He was all Ireland Cornet champion for 7 years in succession the 20's.Unfortunately I can find no records about this-only word of mouth-my Mother was very proud of him'She has left me with many anecdotes.For example the rules of the Bands associstion were first changed because he was much sought after(a ringer).Is there anyone out there who would have any knowledge which would help me in my quest. Allen

drummerjohnston
Band Name: Burneside Brass Kendal
Instrument: Conductor

Re: John Allen

Postby drummerjohnston » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:28 pm

Hi Allen, do you have any idea who he played for. Would be a starting point.

allenh

Postby allenh » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:17 pm

thanks for your interest drummer john-who did he not play for.he would have started with lisburn silver.but I know he guested for bands like agnes street in contests before the rules were changed to bar ringers(according to my mother he was the direct
reason for the change).must have been a bit of a scandal at the time.I also saw an old picture once of him in a concert flute.In his later years when he was a conductor he taught Christ Church accordion.Again my mother told me that because there was no sheet music available he transposed brass band parts for the accordion.A chap called John Burleigh who was in the band verified this for me some years ago and told me how proud he was of the classical pieces "wee John" arranged for concerts.

kirky
Site Admin
Band Name: Downshire Brass
Instrument: Bb Cornet

Postby kirky » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:07 pm

Hi there,

If your grandfather was in Lisburn Silver, they merged with Lurganure a number of years ago to form Garvey Silver. It may be worth dropping them a line, I know they are on facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Garvey-Silver-Band/137561434531

Paul
Keep 'er Lit!
Kirky

allenh

Postby allenh » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:23 pm

kirky wrote:Hi there,

If your grandfather was in Lisburn Silver, they merged with Lurganure a number of years ago to form Garvey Silver. It may be worth dropping them a line, I know they are on facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Garvey-Silver-Band/137561434531

Paul

Thanks Paul-I'll follow that up.As it happens I know he taught Lurganure as well.Seen there site and one of their Officers was one of wee Johns players!

Return to “Who Are You?”